a physical, chemical or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension, and may be a factor in disease causation
the process of changing the form or appearance
the state of being happy, healthy or prosperous
What is the Dental Hygiene Well-Being Committee?
It is a committee of the Maryland Dental Hygienists’ Association. It is a confidential service available to provide well-being assistance to any licensed dental hygienist, dental radiation technologist or dental assistant in the state of Maryland who is dealing with a physical, emotional, mental or substance abuse difficulty. Individuals may be self-referred, referred by family, colleagues or employers, or referred by the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
The Committee can help by:
- providing a free initial problem assessment by the Clinical Coordinator
- making an appropriate referral for professional help
- getting you in contact with a support group
- helping to prevent a problem from ever affecting your license or employment
- being available for on-going support
How do I know if I need well-being assistance?
- Are you so burnt out on your job that you wish you could just quit?
- Is just talking to your friends not enough to make you feel better anymore?
- Are you concerned about a family member who may have a drug or alcohol problem?
- Are you trying to work, have a family and take care of an elderly parent on top of everything else?
- Have any of your friends or relatives noticed changes in you for the worse?
- Do you have a partner who is violent or abusive?
- Do you feel like you need the support of a neutral listener?
Tell me more about the committee
The Dental Hygiene Well-Being Committee is chaired by a licensed dental hygienist who is assisted by the Clinical Coordinator, a licensed social worker and substance abuse professional.
The assessment service is free to all licensed dental hygienists, dental radiation technologists and dental assistants in Maryland and is totally confidential. The Clinical Coordinator retains all records, not MDHA.
We can refer you to many resources and will provide on-going peer support to you. We are ready, willing and able to help you achieve a state of well-being in your life.